Saturday, January 17, 2009

MY FRENCH JACKET!!!





Well, here it is and it only took 3 months. (I didn't actually work on it for 3 months straight, it just feels that way.) After 120 hours of sewing I quit counting hours and started counting procedures- 10 buttons, 4 pockets, 6 sleeves. Yes, 6 sleeves- although the classic french jacket armhole is a tight, high fit I wasn't happy with the comfort and ease until I put the sleeves in for a third time. That meant taking the sleeves and the lining out twice and since they are both put in by hand it was a time consuming task. After sewing on 10 buttons I decided I liked it better without the buttons. I also liked three pockets better than four. Besides actual sewing time there were many uncounted hours spent searching for the perfect buttons and trims, a process made more difficult because there are so few resources besides the web. After a trial and error process of various trim combinations I decided on a bugle bead trim inserted at the edge of the jacket and three stands of a pink cashmere yarn overlaid with a black figure 8 trim.

Overall, I am happy with the finished product and although I would lkie to make another one someday it won't be anytime soon! With the completion of this jacket three of the five fabrics I bought in Paris are now hanging in my closet instead of laying in my sewing room. That feels good!

One of my next projects will be to make a blouse out of the remaining lining fabric which Susan tells me is Roberto Cavalli and a very nice compliment to Chanel.

3 comments:

Kate said...

Oh la la la la!!!! You have such patience, my dear. It has paid off beautifully. Love your resolution of the trim problem too. Someday we must go to M&J in NYC together and stock up.

Meg said...

Very nice! I hear you about comfortable sleeves and armholes. I fussed with mine on my faux-Chanel jacket quite a bit too. Love the trim. And thanks for reading my blog!

Diana said...

Oh my Goodness!!!What a gorgeous jacket. I looked you up from Lindsay's blog. I love everything about it. Please show us more of your stuff soon.