Saturday, January 3, 2009

ACCOUNTABILITY FOR 2008


Last year my theme was to Edit, Simplify and Enjoy my life and as I reviewed the goals I set I am inclined to think I did a rather good job. My main objective was to reduce the excess in my life and get down to what is really important. Although the year passed incredibly fast there was a slower pace for us and a greater sense of calm. I believe the biggest factor in this change was that I quit shopping as a hobby! There was so much more time for more meaningful activities. This one change also reduced the stuff and simplified the daily. Getting dressed is easier, putting things way is easier, I feel easier and it was easier on my bank account! I will definitely continue on this new path in 2009.

As a result of spending less time shopping I had more time to read. Two of my favorites this year were biographies on Elizabeth I. I also read a couple of books just for entertainment-- something I haven't done in years.

I didn't exactly sew and finish one item a month but the french jacket qualifies for several months of sewing.However I did make two skirts which I love, both from Paris fabric. The first is a basic black wool with a flounce. The second, my favorite one is made in wool animal print in browns and green but what makes it special is that the other side of the fabric is a plaid. This design with the back pleats allows me to showcase both fabrics. I loved wearing it and was stopped more than once and asked about it. I also made Grace a few things.

As for my french, well I totally dropped the ball on that one. But I have enrolled in a Russian for Travelers class this spring. And since I am going to Russia in May this makes more sense. I do want to learn French but if I am not going to use it, it doesn't seem like a good use of my most precious resource- TIME.

Grace's dollhouse did get finished but not as I had intended. It just wasn't happening and I didn't have the skills or tools to do it like I wanted. So when my cousin, Jane, offered for the second time to give me the house she made several years ago and all the furniture, I gladly said yes. We did a remodel job, new floors, wallpaper and a fresh coat of paint and Grace now has her dollhouse! This change of plans showed me another area where I have grown. I accepted the fact that there was a better way to do something than my first plan.

And I'll just admit that I didn't have a daily devotional time everyday but never the less I did grow spritually. I believe one of the main reasons was our new pastor, Ben Pilgren. His lessons have been on the very things I have been struggling with the last couple of years. And I also think that because I have more time my mind has been able to focus on more spiritual matters.


Overall I count the year a success and hope that 2009 will be equally as fulfilling.

1 comment:

Kate said...

You are an inspiration! We downsized a few years ago when we moved overseas and it IS liberating. Afraid with the stresses of '08 I got a little too into "retail therapy." Now, I'm putting on the brakes and going to sit back and enjoy my cozy space. Put The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society on your books to read list. I just finished it and it's a total delight! K Q:-)