Saturday, January 17, 2009

A HANDPICKED ZIPPER AND A PETERSHAM WAIST!



What am I talking about? Well, if you sew you know. One of the pieces of fabric that I bought in Paris was this Pierre Cardin animal print/plaid wool. I loved the fabric when I first saw it and then when I discovered that on the reverse side of the animal print was plaid it was a MUST HAVE! I knew exactly how I wanted to make it to showcase both sides. Whenever I wear it people stop me and tell me how great it. It is so nice to have a garment that I have made and put time and thought into to be appreciated.

The handpicked zipper and petersham waist are techniques that I learned in Susan's couture sewing class. The zipper is put in by hand and the petersham waist uses petersham ribbon instead of a facing or a waistband. I love both techniques and the petersham waist works especially well for my bodytype.

In the selvedge of the fabric was the designer's name so I made myself a little lable to sew onto the ribbon. I have enough of the fabric left to make a hat.

1 comment:

Kate said...

Totally fabulous! You are inspiring me. I pulled out some Swiss lace and French silks and wools last night to get to work on a crazy quilt pillow for my new little old living room. K Q:-)