Tuesday, January 27, 2009

DEFEATED BY THE MOUNTAIN



Yesterday we went hiking and I met an old advesary, The Summit Trail on Camelback Mountain. In '97 The Summit Trail was my very first hike and after all the trails I have hiked since I still considered it to be the most difficult. But I didn't know if it really was that tough or if it was just the memory. Our friend, Leonard was in the mood for a strenuous hike and I decided it was time to take another try at the summit.

The trail is 1264 ft, just a bit over a mile to the summit and has heavy traffic. It is rated difficult, a fact that makes me feel somewhat vindicated when I recall my first climb. Actually, climb is a more accurate description than hike. There are places that you must use your hands and pull yourself up the rock ledges. It is very steep with lots of loose gravel making it easy to loose your footing and slip. For me the difficulty is increased by the joggers. Yes, the joggers! They are the 20 -30 year olds that train or workout by running up and down several times a week. I think that they have all got some kind of spring action in their knees. They leap and bounce from one boulder to the next. Showoffs! I am going to suggest to the Parks Dept that they have a Senior Day.

Despite my horrible experience 12 years ago I was ready to tackle my foe. Afterall, I am now an experience hiker with the proper hiking boots(not tennis shoes as before) and brand name hiking clothes! Halfway up Jim got really tired and wanted to turn around but we went on and once he got a second wind he was fine. I had to stop more than once to rest. My heart was pounding, would slow down when I rested but not recover as it should. Jim was concerned, I was shocked. Just past the 7/8 mile marker I made a couple of missteps because I was feeling so weak and I knew I didn't need to try and make the summit. Leonard and Peggy went on to the summit and Jim and I turned back.

It was definitly a disappointment but also an awakening. When I get home I am getting a stress test and if everything checks out okay I am going to focus on cardio this year. I must admit that cardio has taken a backseat to flexibility and strength training the last couple of years. This is why you must retire when you get older-- there is just not enough time to work while keeping up with all the doctor's appointments, latest healthy food info, workouts for the various body parts and scheduled maintenance visits (pedicures, massages & facials).

In '97 there were several times along the trail that I stood bewildered trying to choose which rock to step on next and much to my embarrassment had people ask me if I needed help. Although I made it to the summit and down that year without serious injury, other than my pride, I didn't feel good about myself. I was mad and I was challenged. I decided to have knee surgery that I had been putting off and when I recovered I started hiking, something I have enjoyed ever since. I am not mad about yesterday like I was 12 years ago and I guess that alone is a good thing, a sign of
maturity and being a peace with myself. However, I am challenged and curious, challenged to improve my health and curious to see what other good things or new adventures might open up from my Summit Trail experience.



2 comments:

Julius Family said...

way to hang in there... the height of the summit was probably more the problem than the exertion!

Tam said...

Hi Girl- Good job trying that hill again. I remember how difficult it was last time. Enjoy your trip and keep hiking anyway.