Tuesday, August 25, 2009

THE LAST OF SUMMER

Our garden is a sad reminder that the last days of summer are here. We are still getting a few squash and some tomatoes and the peppers are turning red but the vines are staring to die and I know it won't be long until I come home with an empty basket. This city girl is proud of our well stocked freezer since this is only my second year for a garden. Next year I hope to add a few more things to the mix and go totally organic. The only thing I don't like about the garden is that it shows no respect for my schedule - if I'm busy or traveling it still grows! And when it grows there is food that will spoil if I don't do something with it, Right Then! I don't know why I didn't grasp that concept sooner.

The last days of summer also mean it's time to wind up summer sewing and make a few transitional items. This dress, Vogue 8555, is the last garment I'll make for warm weather. It is an easy feminine dress that suits my style and I will definitely use the pattern again. The fabric is a loosely woven cotton rayon blend so it was necessary to underline the bodice and midriff inset for stability. I eliminated the side pockets, shortened the skirt 2 inches and added 3/4" to the bodice lenghth over the bust area to adjust for a full and low bust. I cut a size 12 except at the shoulder and there I cut a size 8. I needed the length over the bust but not from the shoulder to the bustline. I have a wonderful gray and coral floral that I got at Textile Fabrics last month in Nashville that would be perfect in this style but...
I also have piles yes, piles of fabric in the floor of my sewing room begging me to bring them to life. I have decisions to make.

2 comments:

Kate said...

Love the dress. Might have to try out this pattern myself one of these days. Sewing room needs work - too hot up there just now. K Q:-)

Kat said...

That is such a beautiful dress! I think I'm going to have to pick up that pattern. Great blog BTW--so glad I found it!!