Saturday, March 21, 2009

They say, "IT'S LIKE RIDING A BICYCLE."



but apparently they didn't say that about roller skating because it didn't come back to me like I thought it would! Grace's 6th Birthday party was at the roller rink and I was so excited because I have always loved to skate and it was one of the few atheletic things I was good at doing. My sweet Jim reminded that is was 35 years since I skated and a fall could do serious damage. (I think he just concerned that he might have to be the one to nurse me back in the event of injury-- I admit I'm a lousy patient.) I ignored his advise and smugly laced up my skates. I learned immediately that if you want to discover if you still have "it" it may be best to find out the news in private. My first trip around the rink took a good 5 minutes. It was like a B rated horror movie, " inch by inch she crept, ever so verrry, verrry slowly." Half way around it hit me- the floor that is. Smack on my well padded bootie, I think I probably bounced. And then I couldn't get my feet steady enough to get up but thanks to a kind and well balanced stranger I did not suffer in embarassment too long. I made it back around and decided that the problem was not me but bad skates. Sure enough, another pair of skates fixed the problem and I ended the evening skating without another fall and feeling rather proud of myself. I even considerd buying my own skates and making it part of my fitness lifestyle.

That was 3 weeks ago and then this week there was the news of Natasha Richardson and I am now rethinking the skates. It can happen so quickly and even the most seemingly insignificant accident can change your life or the lives of your loved ones in an instant. I know you can't lock yourself up and be safe from everything but rather it is a matter of choosing the things that are really important. So I guess for now I won't be purchasing any roller skates and later if I decide I want to skate I'll purchase a matching helmet.

1 comment:

Julius Family said...

You go sister! We can't spend our lives worrying that we might have an accident - just remember, if you DO hit your head or fall, SEE A DOCTOR immediately!!!!!!