Monday, June 16, 2008

REDUCE, REUSE AND RECYCLE

is the green slogan but they forgot REMAKE. I have always enjoyed my sewing from an artist's perspective but it also a great way to make my clothes continue to work when they have been redesighned. For example, I cut off all my capris and made burmuda shorts and I hem and rehem skirts and dresses constantly to update. Simple. And if you don't sew you probably know someone who does and you can trade out-- clean her toilets - she'll hem your pants! In the storage room there are 3 big plastic tubs filled with clothes. Some are clothes I've made and some have been purchased, the fabric is wonderful and will someday be remade into something new. I also cut out zippers and take off good buttons before something goes to the donation pile. And did you know that if something isn't fit to be worn by anyone it can still be donated. Most organizations will accept those things because they sell it by the pound and the fabric is recycled. Pretty neat, your favorite old stuff can have a new life.

3 comments:

Julius Family said...

That is a great idea.. and something I must say, I already do..I frequently go from pants, to capris, and then, finally, to walking shorts...

Kate said...

Oh yes! My mother used to buy old wool skirts by the pound then cut them into strips (with a tool my Dad made her) to hook rugs. She was a recycler long before it was fashionable - not surprising having been raised as the youngest of 8 by a single mother during the Depression.
K Q:-)

Tam said...

Thanks for reminding me that I should discuss this as a part of my high school sewing classes. By they way, I finally figured out how to post a comment.