Sunday, June 15, 2008

HOW I"M SAVING MONEY, TIME, ENERGY and MY LIFE

My sister Catherine asked a guestion on her blog about what people were doing to save money for gas and asked them to share their ideas. I thought it was a good question and it made me think about what I do now and what I could do. Maybe the high gas prices will cause us all to rethink how we use or in some cases how we waste our resources. I have always been pretty good about planning my trips to town to be the most efficient time wise. But now I ask myself do I really even need to go to town because going to town means I'm going to go buy something and chances are I don't even need it! To save money and gas don't shop for a hobby! Read a book instead, one you have checked out from the library or borrowed from a friend.

I shop with coupons, coupons for clothes, groceries and restaurants. I am devastated if I have to buy something and don't have a coupon. You don't even have to take the paper to clip coupons-- they are online, just print it. I gave Hobby Lobby my email and they send me one every week. But I caution you, don't buy it just because you have a coupon and don't even go to the store to see if you need something just beacause you have a coupon. You should know if you need it without having to go look and see if you need something!

This year Jim and I planted a garden. Yes, a garden! Not a surprise for Jim but some of you may have trouble envisioning me gardening. Well, actually Jim planted it at my request. We have tomatoes, peppers, squash and strawberries and I planted basil, mint and cilantro. Not only is this a hugh $ savings but you can't even compare the taste and quality. My goal is to eat only whole and natural foods, not processed chemicals. Initially this will be more expensive but our health is priceless and in the long term I believe it will pay off. I am even slowly introducing my friends to this concept. Why have friends over for dinner and feed them things you would not eat otherwise. So far they still come when invited.

More later.

There is free stuff everywhere. On Tuesdays Grace and I are going to Storytime at the library and will either eat peanut butter and jelly sandwiches in the park or on the patio (instead of Chick-fil-a.) We are also going to rride our bikes on the Greenways Trail. not only is this all free but it encourages exercise and outdoor activities.

2 comments:

Kate said...

Gardening can be an expensive hobby but so rewarding in so many ways. "You're nearer God's heart in a garden, Than anyplace else on earth" as the poem goes. I DO miss my Texas garden and hope to have another one some day. There is NOTHING as delicious as home grown tomatoes or strawberries. Yum!
K Q:-)

Julius Family said...

Great ideas.. free stuff! We try to keep a cooler packed with food from home because we have moved out of town and don't want to go through the drive thru all the time (unhealthy and expensive)... we also try to not limit our experiences to ones that cost.. we swim in the backyard all the time.. go to the gym and work out together.. walks with the new puppy.. there is an endless list...