Friday, February 29, 2008

SAN ANTONIO

Well. it is day four in San Antonio and we finally made our trip to the Riverwalk and the Alamo. We got here on Tuesday and I didn't feel very good and by Wed morning I was really sick so waited until Thur and I still didn't feel very well so we extended our time by a day and went this morning. We rode the city bus from our campground (that's another story) and took a quick walk through Riverwalk and stopped for a nice lunch at one of the little restaurants. Then we headed for the Alamo to test our memory of what we learned in high school. I am sorry to say I would not have gotten a high score if there had been a test. And I was a good student! It made me think of something I heard an educator say the other day. The discussion was about how few facts like dates high school students knew these days. The educator said there was no reason to memorize these kind of facts anymore since the internet gave everyone immediate access to the simple facts. And today's experience highlights this. I used to know all of this but in the past 40 years have not had a need to call it up. Just a thought about our changing world.
On the way to the Alamo the downtown Dillards caught my eye and I was 6 years old again shopping with my mother in downtown Little Rock. It was such a vivid memory-- I could see the floors, the stairs and especially the Charles of the Ritz cosmetic counter in Gus Blass Department store where my mother had her powder customed mixed. Then we would go across the street to Woolworths and eat at the counter. Some change is good, we don't have to memorize dates; some change is just dull -- the food court at the mall is just not the same as Woolworth's counter. And some change is sad-- my mother is no longer here to go shopping.
I really wanted to go in Dillards and the Rivercenter Mall, I wasn't wanting to shop, just browse, but by the time we took in the Alamo Jim was feeling like I was feeling a couple of days before so we headed for our bus stop and came home. We may have to extend our stay in San Antonio even longer, I for sure can't get this rig out of here.
Oh! and before I forget, I have to say I love the architecture here!

2 comments:

Len & Peg said...

Now I understand why you like to shop. You are just reliving your childhood. It looks like you had a great time. If you continue to treat Grace like you are doing, it appears you will be sponsoring her in all of the "miss" pagents before long.
Look forward to seeing you and Jim on your return.

Kate said...

So sorry you all have been feeling ill. I do share your nostalgia for the old shopping experiences - like lunch in the Tearoom at the old Lord and Taylor. Also, my sisters and I used to take the bus to Seven Corners Shopping Center (one of the earliest malls) where the Woolworth's on two different levels had a special at the lunch counter. Balloons with Banana Split prices in them. You picked a balloon and paid whatever price the balloon had in it. The top price was 39 cents so that tells you HOW long ago that was. Ah well... trips are great for nostalgia.

Hope you are all feeling well again soon! xxxooo K Q:-)